New Laptop?

General AAR discussions
Basarin

New Laptop?

Post by Basarin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:29 pm

So I'm currently saving up money for a new laptop. But up till now, all my previous models get outclassed by the newer games pretty quickly. I'm getting rather annoyed and sick of it too.

So I've decided I want my next laptop to be as beefy and badass as I can possibly make it, and damn the expenses. (Well, okay, maybe within 2200) Any ideas for brand names or models coming out that anyone knows?

Dr. Corday
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Laptop?

Post by Dr. Corday » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:09 pm

I'm getting ready to do the same thing. The Sandy Bridge processors are just now starting to ship again. I'm looking at (okay, waiting for the new) Dell XPS or Alienware right now. I'm even actually considering looking at the new MacBook Pro when it comes out next month. It will have the Sandy Bridge and also a dedicated memory card. I'm not an Apple fan but I saw a MacBook Pro and it has the best display I've seen. And you can put Windows 7 on it. The specs will have to be impressive for me to buy anything Apple though.
I've also heard a few good things about the Asus laptops.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

UWF Baseball - 2011 NCAA National Champions! Go Argos!

Dr. Corday
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dr. Corday » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:59 pm

Dell released the new XPS line today! I'm looking at the XPS 17 3D right now. It may be my next laptop. The Macbook Pros may be released this week as well but I'm really leaning towards the XPS 17 3D. :aokay:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

Basarin

Post by Basarin » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:20 pm

Oooh. Definitely going to keep an eye on that one. :D

Grifftavian

Post by Grifftavian » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:07 pm

You can also get Alienware laptops through Dell with the Sandy Bridge CPUs.

I just received the May 2011 edition of Maximum PC magazine in the mail, and they had a nice write up on this laptop...

http://www.avadirect.com/gaming-noteboo ... PRID=19610

They gave it a 9 rating on a 10 point scale, and their coveted "Kick Ass" designation. You could play with the configuration and get it a for a little less by taking a regular hard drive instead of the SSD HD, dropping down from Windows 7 Ultimate OS, less expensive video card, etc.

I have a subscription, but the retail edition of the magazine should be on the shelves soon, it you want to read their write up. Not sure if its on their online site yet.

Sadly, my 3 year old Dell laptop looks as if the display may be dropping a few pixels here and there, so I may be in the market for a new laptop soon myself.
Grifftavian
"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of."
- Confucius

Basarin

Post by Basarin » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:50 pm

I went ahead and ordered the XPS 17 with the sweet, sweet sandy bridge. I was working on a budget, so it'll be the best I can do.

That being said, I'm pretty sure this one will last me for a few years. It'd darn well better, at least. :|

Dr. Corday
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dr. Corday » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:37 am

Basarin wrote:I went ahead and ordered the XPS 17 with the sweet, sweet sandy bridge. I was working on a budget, so it'll be the best I can do.

That being said, I'm pretty sure this one will last me for a few years. It'd darn well better, at least. :|
Ooooh! Now you can post a review of your new lappy here! :please:

@Grifftavian
Alienware is going to release two new models this month, the M14x and the monsterlith m18x. I also think they are updating the M15x. I'm still waiting to see what the configuration options will be before I buy anything. Hopefully though I can order something by this month's end.
-Sherlock Holmes

Dr. Corday
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dr. Corday » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:35 pm

After checking out the new Alienware m14x :alien: I have decided to go with the new Dell XPS 15 l502x laptop. The tipping point for me was the B+RGLED screen. It's getting rave reviews and since I'm already using RGBLED on my XPS 1640 I had to go with that. I will post a review on this site when I receive it (early May?). In the meantime, here's the specs:

2nd generation Intel Core i7-2720QM processor 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.30 GHz (Sandy Bridge)
8GB,DDR3,2 DIMM
Backlit Internal Keyboard
15.6FHD TLF B+RGLED LCD
NVIDIA GeForce GT540M 2GB graphics with Optimus
750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit
Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card
Tray Load Blu-ray Disc BD-Combo
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 and Bluetooth 3.0
56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
-Sherlock Holmes