The Sun Never Sets: A Civilization V AAR

Grifftavian

The Sun Never Sets: A Civilization V AAR

Post by Grifftavian » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:51 pm

Sid Meier's Civilization V is the newest game is the classic PC Game series.

For this game, I'll be aiming for a Diplomatic Victory, although all Victory Conditions will be enabled. To obtain a Diplomatic Victory in Civilization V, you need to research Globalization, build the United Nations wonder, and then get enough votes to be elected Secretary General of the UN. I'll be playing on a Standard size map, which means there will be 8 Civilizations (myself and 7 AI-controlled Civs) and 16 City States. Each civilization will normally** vote for themselves in the UN election, and the civilization that builds the UN will get two votes. Each City State also has a vote in the UN election, and will normally** vote for the Civilization with which it has the best relations. Therefore, you need to be on good terms with the majority of the City States to win the UN election.

**if a City State has been captured, or a Civilization has all its cities captured and has been eliminated, you have the option to capture the City State or a city of the former Civilization from their conquerors and Liberating it, which restores the City State or Civilization to the game. A City State or Civilization which has been Liberated will always vote for the last Civilization which Liberated it.

In addition to playing on a standard size map, I'll be playing with the following settings...
Map type = Tiny Islands (this is probably equivalent to an Archipelago Map in Civilization IV)
Speed = Epic
Resources = Standard
Policy Saving & Promotion Saving enabled
Difficulty = Prince/Level 4 (this is the difficulty where the Human & AI players are equal)

Note that, with the exception of turning on Policy Saving & Promotion Saving options, these are the settings specified for the Civilization V Hall of Fame Beta Gauntlet 7 competition at civfanatics.com.

Because I'm playing on the Tiny Islands map, I decide to play as Elizabeth of England, whose Unique Trait is that all navel units have +2 movement. England has two Unique Units, the Longbow, which has +1 Range for ranged attacks over the Crossbow it replaces, and the Ship of the Line, which has a +2 ranged attack strength, +1 Sight, and cost less than the Frigate which it replaces. I also decide to pick my opponents for this game, and choose...
  • America
    France
    Germany
    India
    Iroquois
    Russia
    Japan
I generate the map; here is a screen shot of my starting location...
Beta 7 Satrt Location.jpg
Beta 7 Satrt Location.jpg (568.55 KiB) Viewed 15306 times
It doesn't look too bad, Wheat, Sheep, Ivory & Whales nearby. I move my Warrior 1 SW...
Beta 7 start warrior 1sw.jpg
Beta 7 start warrior 1sw.jpg (594.14 KiB) Viewed 15306 times
and decide to settle in place...
Beta 7 London Founded.jpg
Beta 7 London Founded.jpg (585.03 KiB) Viewed 15306 times
For my initial build in London, I choose a Monument, which will give the city +2 Culture. The extra Culture will help the city acquire additional tiles quicker, and will help England obtain Social Policies sooner. I choose Pottery for my initial research, as it will open up Sailing, Writing and Calendar in the Technology Tree.
Beta 7 Tech Tree.jpg
Beta 7 Tech Tree.jpg (165.7 KiB) Viewed 15306 times
Time to play a few turns... Not much to the east of London, but there is Marble and Fish to the north, maybe I could squeeze in a city up there?
Beta 7 possible northern city.jpg
Beta 7 possible northern city.jpg (578.2 KiB) Viewed 15306 times
I spot some additional land and the borders of a City State to the south; I'll need to get some ships built to any more exploring!
Beta 7 Land South.jpg
Beta 7 Land South.jpg (515.99 KiB) Viewed 15306 times
Pottery is discovered, and I start researching Sailing next. Two turns later the Monument is built in London, and I start building a Worker. That takes me up to turn 16/3600 BC, so I'll save the game here and post this AAR. Stay tuned for Part II. (Some of the fancy graphics don't translate well into the screen shots, not sure why)
Grifftavian
"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of."
- Confucius

Dr. Corday
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Sun Never Sets: A Civilization V AAR

Post by Dr. Corday » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:19 pm

Nice, a Civ5 AAR! Interesting to see some of the choices you make to compare to mine.

Some of the fancy graphics don't translate well into the screen shots, not sure why.

Is that what the white squares/blobs are in the ocean? Never saw that before! :shock:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

UWF Baseball - 2011 NCAA National Champions! Go Argos!

Grifftavian

Post by Grifftavian » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:36 pm

Dr. Corday wrote:Nice, a Civ5 AAR! Interesting to see some of the choices you make to compare to mine.

Some of the fancy graphics don't translate well into the screen shots, not sure why.

Is that what the white squares/blobs are in the ocean? Never saw that before! :shock:
I'm by no means an expert on Civ V, as its a relatively new game, and I've only played a few games previous to this one, so I'll do my best to try and explain the decisions I make in game. Please feel free to ask questions, maybe I'll learn some more writing this AAR.

Yes, most of the white blobs seem to be from the Fish & Whales swimming in the ocean. Maybe their motion throws things off in the still image. :shrug:

It sleeting and snowing here on the south side of Atlanta tonight :yikes: , and they're predicting 3 to 5 inches in the next 24 hours :pissed: , so a good time to stay in and do this AAR. Where is all that Global Warming when you need it. :waiting:
Grifftavian
"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of."
- Confucius

Grifftavian

Post by Grifftavian » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:59 pm

The Sun Never Sets AAR - Part II

Resuming the game at Turn 16/3600 BC; just recently started researching Sailing, and building a Worker in London, so it will be a few turns before anything happens.

At T22/3450 BC, I've accumulated enough culture to adopt a Social Policy. Social Policies are how you refine your government in Civilization V. There are 10 Social Policies in the game, but only three (Tradition, Liberty & Honor) are available this early in the game. Since I turned on the Policy saving option for this game, I'm going to save selecting policies until later. In the meantime, London has expanded its borders to claim the second Wheat tile.
Beta 7 Policy Screen.jpg
Beta 7 Policy Screen.jpg (576.93 KiB) Viewed 15304 times
At T32/3200 BC, Sailing is discovered, and London has expanded again to claim the Ivory Tile. Next, I'm going to research Animal Husbandry, in order to build a Pasture on the Sheep (and to see if there are any Horses on my home island), and then Trapping in order to build a Camp on the Elephant/Ivory. Trapping also lets your workers build Trading Posts, which generate Gold for the city if they're worked by a citizen. Also on this turn, London has grown to three citizens!

Here is a screen shot of the city screen for London. The tiles which the citizens are working are shown with the green citizen icon; as you can see, they are working the two Wheat Tiles and the Elephant/Ivory tile at this time. In the top right of the city screen, you'll see that the city is set to Default Focus. You can change the City's Focus, and the City Governor mechanism will reassign the citizens accordingly. Or if you choose, you can assign the citizens to tiles manually, but I'll leave London on the Default Focus for now.
Beta 7 London Size 3.jpg
Beta 7 London Size 3.jpg (653.14 KiB) Viewed 15304 times
T33/3175 BC, and the Worker is completed in London. I start building a Trireme next, and send the Worker to build Farms on the Wheat tiles.

T41/2975 BC, Animal Husbandry is discovered, but there are no Horses on my home island. On to Trapping.

T46/2850 BC, the Trireme is built, and I start building another Warrior. Now lets sail the Trireme around to the south and meet that City State!

T47/2825 BC, meet the City State of Venice! As I'm the first Civilization they've met, I get 30 Gold. Venice is a Maritime CS, and they have Spices and Horses nearby. They would make a good Ally, as they would give me Food in addition to their resources. You increase your friendship and make allies of City States by giving them Gold, essentially a form of Tribute. In Civ V, the minimum gift to a CS is 250 Gold, and I only have 154 at the moment, so I'll just do some more exploring with my Trireme.
Beta 7 Venice Message.jpg
Beta 7 Venice Message.jpg (123.49 KiB) Viewed 15304 times
There is a Barbarian Trireme near Venice, so maybe I can make some friendship points by killing it off.
Beta 7 Venice Location.jpg
Beta 7 Venice Location.jpg (567.96 KiB) Viewed 15304 times
The Barbarian Trireme was bombarded by Venice, and tried to escape, but my Trireme caught it to the south of Venice...
Beta 7 Trireme Attack.jpg
Beta 7 Trireme Attack.jpg (632.99 KiB) Viewed 15304 times
and finished it off! It's nice to have those extra two movement points for English ships!
Civ5Screen0018.jpg
Civ5Screen0018.jpg (536.16 KiB) Viewed 15304 times
T50/2750 BC, my Trireme has explored around Venice.
Beta 7 Venice Explored.jpg
Beta 7 Venice Explored.jpg (163.9 KiB) Viewed 15304 times
Next turn, I meet CS of Vienna to the immediate west of London. Vienna is a Cultured CS, with Silver. Another potentially good Ally!
Beta 7 Vienna Message.jpg
Beta 7 Vienna Message.jpg (126.75 KiB) Viewed 15304 times
Here is a screen shot of Vienna, and some potentially vacant land to the NW of London.
Beta 7 Vienna and NW Island.jpg
Beta 7 Vienna and NW Island.jpg (176.51 KiB) Viewed 15304 times
The island to the NW has some Ancient Ruins! I'll need to research Optics in order to get units up there.
Beta7 NW Island Ancient Ruins.jpg
Beta7 NW Island Ancient Ruins.jpg (578.59 KiB) Viewed 15304 times
T55/2625 BC, 2nd Warrior is built, I'll take a chance and start building The Great Lighthouse Wonder in London. The Great Lighthouse gives all military Navel Units +1 movement point and +1 Sight (something nice to have on a Tiny Islands map), and generates +1 Culture and 1 Great Merchant Point for the City where it is built. To speed things along, I change the Focus of London to production.
Beta 7 London Builds Gt Lighthouse.jpg
Beta 7 London Builds Gt Lighthouse.jpg (617.52 KiB) Viewed 15304 times
T56/2600 BC, Trapping is discovered. Research is going a little slow, so I'll research Writing next, so I can eventually build a Library. This looks like a good place to stop and update the AAR!
Grifftavian
- Confucius

Basarin

Post by Basarin » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:18 pm

Nice, Civ V! I own the game, but I've had little time to play it. Finished a run as the Songhai (sent a ship to Alpha Centauri), and while I like what I see, stuff like the game's diplomacy and production yields can use a tidge of work. :|

As for your starting location, yeah. After you look up writing and optics, you should just expand your cities to new lands as soon as possible, I think. London can probably encompass the whole island and just benefit from all the tiles in there. The marble'll definitely help!

Grifftavian

Post by Grifftavian » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:59 pm

The Sun Never Sets AAR - Part III

RL distractions have abated, and we're back to our game. Our one city, London, is building The Great Lighthouse World Wonder. If successful, it will give England a big advantage on the Tiny Islands map. Our one Worker is building a Sheep pasture, and our Trireme is exploring the seas around London. Currently researching Writing. Resuming game at T56/2600 BC.

T59/2525 BC: the Trireme has discovered another Ancient Ruins and a Barbarian Camp to the NW of London. Perhaps an opportunity for the Trireme to get some experience by bombarding the Barbs.
Beta 7 Barb Bomb 1.jpg
Beta 7 Barb Bomb 1.jpg (153.17 KiB) Viewed 15291 times
Trireme bombards Barb Brute in the camp, fourth attack destroys the Brute, each attack gains the Trireme +2 Experience Points (XP). The other Barb Brute moves into the Camp, but the 8 XP gained by the Trireme is enough for a promotion! The choices are Bombardment I (+20% Combat Strength against Land Units) and Targeting I (+20% against Naval Units). With no ships in site, and two more Barb Brutes on the island, I'll take Bombardment I.
Beta 7 Trireme Promo 1.jpg
Beta 7 Trireme Promo 1.jpg (174.44 KiB) Viewed 15291 times
Attacked the Barb Brute twice (+2 XP x 2 = +4 XP) when a Barbarian Trireme shows up; time to attack it.
Beta 7 Barb Trireme 1.jpg
Beta 7 Barb Trireme 1.jpg (166.67 KiB) Viewed 15291 times
It took two attacks to kill the Barb Trireme, it never counter-attacked! Another +4 XP! Meanwhile back home, the Worker has finished the Sheep Pasture, and moved to build a Camp on the Elephant to gain Ivory!

T69/2275 BC: two more bombardments by the Trireme have killed the 2nd Brute. Writing has been discovered; I select Mining for the next Tech to research, irt build a Mine near London and help it with production.

T72/2200 BC: Rats! Somebody else built The Great Lighthouse. If I can find which city, I might have to try and capture it! Oh well, I got some failure gold for my effort. I decide to build a Settler in London, so I can claim that Marble on the north tip of the home island. Next turn, I bombard the Brute again, and I meet Napoleon of France, his Trireme came from NW of where my Trireme is bombarding the Barbs.

T74/2150 BC: The French Trireme finished off the last Barb Brute, but my attack last turn earned another promotion for my Trireme. Targeting I is still available, as are Mobility (+1 movement), Sentry (+1 Visibility Range) and Bombardment II (+20 Combat Strength against Land Units). I select Targeting I, to give my Trireme balance combat abilities. Now lets see if we can find the French Capitol! Well, that didn't take long, I was close to Paris already! And Paris has a Great General! Napoleon must have taken Honor & Warrior Code to get the free GGeneral!
Beta 7 Paris Found.jpg
Beta 7 Paris Found.jpg (143.64 KiB) Viewed 15291 times
T76/2100 BC: meet Budapest, a militaristic City State, it is on a small island just south of Paris.

T77/2075 BC: discovered Mining, starting research into Optics, as that will allow land units to Embark and sail to other islands! My Worker has finished the Ivory Camp, and is moving to Mine a hill near London.

T83/1925 BC: Settler completed in London, building a Library to help with research. My Trireme is bombarding some more Barbs for the XPs.

T84/1900 BC: York is founded just north of London, next to the Marble; initial build is Monument. My Trireme isn't earning any more XP from bombing the Barbs, so its back to exploring
Beta 7 York Founded.jpg
Beta 7 York Founded.jpg (175.42 KiB) Viewed 15291 times
T87/1825 BC: here is a screen shot of Paris and Budapest off the the West and Northwest of the English Empire.
Beta 7 Paris & Budapest.jpg
Beta 7 Paris & Budapest.jpg (178.59 KiB) Viewed 15291 times
T90/1750 BC: meet the City States of Warsaw and Belgrade to the SE of London.
Beta 7 Warsaw & Belgrade.jpg
Beta 7 Warsaw & Belgrade.jpg (157.38 KiB) Viewed 15291 times
T94/1650 BC: discover Optics, and enter the Classical Era! London has finished building a Library, and I elect to build a Scout int sail over to some of the ancient Ruins on the adjacent islands. Having entered the Classical Era, the Piety Social Policy is now available.
Beta 7 New SP Available.jpg
Beta 7 New SP Available.jpg (185.54 KiB) Viewed 15291 times
Time to finally take some of those Social Policies I've been saving! I adopt Piety (+2 Happiness in the Empire) and from within the Piety Branch, I also adopt Organized Religion (amount of happiness required to start a Golden Age reduced 25%). When I accumulate enough Culture to take another SP, I'll be able to take Reformation, and get a free 10-turn Golden Age.
Beta 7 Piety & Org Rel Taken.jpg
Beta 7 Piety & Org Rel Taken.jpg (189.18 KiB) Viewed 15291 times
T97/1575 BC: London has finished the Scout, and starts on a Warrior for the City Garrison of a new city. The Scout is going to head for the island N of Vienna with the Ancient Ruins.

T99/1525 BC: a Barb Trireme shows up near York; York bombards the Barb Trireme, but I move my Scout back on land to keep from losing it.

T100/1500 BC: time to save the game and post this at AAR Central!
Grifftavian
- Confucius

Dr. Corday
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dr. Corday » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:29 pm

I've been inspired by this AAR to start a new game of Civ5. :comp10:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

UWF Baseball - 2011 NCAA National Champions! Go Argos!

Grifftavian

Post by Grifftavian » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:24 pm

Dr. Corday wrote:I've been inspired by this AAR to start a new game of Civ5. :comp10:
:clap: Good Luck! Not a competing AAR, is it? :yikes:
Grifftavian
- Confucius

Grifftavian

Post by Grifftavian » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:40 pm

The Sun Never Sets AAR - Part IV

No screen shots this time, just notes on the game progress. Resuming our game at T100/1500 BC. London had stopped growing, so I've switched it from Production Focus back to Default Focus, which moved a citizen from a Mine to a Farm.

T101/1475 BC: the Barbarian Trireme shows up near York again; York bombards it, and then my Trireme finishes it off, so I Embark my Scout for the trip to the NW island. I decide to spend most of my gold (370 of 441) to buy another Trireme in London, the Barbs may be getting frisky, and I'll need naval support for embarked units!

T102/1450 BC: discovered Masonry, start research into Bronze Working, and plan to go for Iron Working next. Need Iron for better units, would be nice to know where it is before I found any more cities.

T103/1425 BC: the Scout landed on the Ancient Ruins on the NW Island, and I received an extra population in York.

T104/1400 BC: Warrior completed in London, as I'm waiting for Iron Working, I start building The Great Library in London. If I can complete it, I'll get a free technology. Changing the focus in London back to production stagnates growth, but knocks 8 turns off the build time (20 turns).

T110/1250 BC: discovered Bronze Working and start research into Iron Working. My second Trireme :boat: has been bombarding Barbs, and has earned its first promotion. I'll go the opposite route this time, and take Targeting I (+20% Combat Strength vs. Naval Units) as the first promotion. Worried about more Barb Triremes showing up, this Trireme killed one Barb Trireme in earning this promotion.

T112/1200 BC: Scout enters Ancient Ruins and I get free tech = Calendar! :D Next turn, the Scout is killed by a Barb Brute!! :mad:

T114/1150 BC: York has completed building a Monument, and starts building a Work Boat. I've accumulated enough Culture to select another Social policy, and take Reformation, which starts a free 12-turn Golden Age! :cheer:

T116/1100 BC: Belgrade asks for help against Barbarians :m60: so a chance to pick up a little influence with them. My 3rd Warrior sails onto an Ancient Ruins SE of London, and received 100 gold! :!: Napoleon has founded Orleans SW of Paris and N of Budapest.

T119/1025 BC: Curses, foiled again! :pissed: The Great Library is built in a far away land!! I get 210 failure gold!!! Its still 11 turns before Iron Working is discovered, so I elect to build a Lighthouse in London (11 turns to complete) and change back to Default Focus to resume growth in London.

T122/950 BC: my 3rd Warrior dies fighting Barbs SE of London! :eek:

T123/925 BC: York completes its Work Boat, which creates fishing nets on the Whales NW of London; York starts another Work Boat.

T126/850 BC: my free Golden Age has ended, but I'm only two turns from a happiness generate GA. My two Triremes :boat: are killing Barbs neat Belgrade, trying to satisfy their request, but I may need to sail a unit over and clear the Barb Camp to satisfy them.

T128/800 BC: my happiness generated GA starts! :dotdance:

T129/775 BC: discover Iron Working, and there isn't any available Iron near London! :shrug: Venice has both Horses and Iron, so they're a good bet to be my first CS Ally. Venice also wants Warsaw destroyed :bash: so I might have to look into that. London has completed its Lighthouse, and starts building a Warrior. I start research into Philosophy, in order to be able to make some Research Agreements with the neighbors (of which I've still only met France).

T130/750 BC: saving game.
Grifftavian
- Confucius

Basarin

Post by Basarin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:30 pm

Nice start you have there! Are there any other islands or landmasses you're thinking about expanding into? Though until you reach later tech levels, amphibious invasions are probably not quite worth it just yet...