GalCiv2 Poll Winner AAR

Dr. Corday
Administrator
Administrator

GalCiv2 Poll Winner AAR

Post by Dr. Corday » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:45 pm

It's been a long time since GalCiv2 Twilight of the Arnor won my 'Next AAR' poll but I'm finally going to start it.
I haven't played GalCiv2 in a long time and this will be like starting over for me. I hope someone will stop by and offer advice along the way!
:please:
For this game I'm going to keep things small and simple. I'm going with a small galaxy size. I know that can
backfire on me but I do want a short game. Just not too short! :mischf: I've got all of the victory conditions
enabled. Ascension? What the hell's that!?
Here's a screenshot of my game options:

Dr. Corday of the Terran Alliance will be feeling your pain. I went with Technologists (never have before).
And note the really cool paint job on my ships!

My opponents? I don't know either but there will be three of them. Let's hope they play nice
with others.

My first decision in office as President of the Terran Alliance is to direct my researchers to look
into Xeno Communications. Like someone said, "If we're going to speak, communicate, trade and
negotiate with aliens, we need to start thinking about how they communicate".
Next, I order two factories and one research lab to be built on Earth. That leaves me with five
areas left to build things on. I also order the shipyards to start work on another colony ship.
I hope there's somewhere to send it to when it's complete. Which brings another question
to mind. Do I colonize Mars now or wait? :thinks:

And I also attended the launching ceremony for the USS Crockett. (Hey, I like Fess Parker!) 8-)

Which brings me to the opening screenshot. It looks like the Terran Alliance is sandwiched
between two other empires. There's three stars galactic north of Earth so I'm thinking that's
where I'm going to order the Crockett to go. More to come...
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

UWF Baseball - 2011 NCAA National Champions! Go Argos!

Grifftavian

Re: GalCiv2 Poll Winner AAR

Post by Grifftavian » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:02 pm

I haven't played this in some time either, will be interesting to watch and learn.

I've read that one way to get off to a fast start is to go ahead and buy that first Factory one the 1st turn when you have surplus cash. Did you do that?

How are you going to develop your Spaceships? Are you going to concentrate your research along a particular weapons line (i.e., Beam Weapons or Mass Drivers or Missiles)? Shields or Armor?

I see there is a Blue Star close by, but usually not too many good planets around Blue Stars :(
Grifftavian
"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of."
- Confucius

Dr. Corday
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dr. Corday » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:02 pm

Grifftavian wrote:I've read that one way to get off to a fast start is to go ahead and buy that first Factory one the 1st turn when you have surplus cash. Did you do that?
No, but I probably should. :mrgreen: But then what should I build next??
Grifftavian wrote: How are you going to develop your Spaceships? Are you going to concentrate your research along a particular weapons line (i.e., Beam Weapons or Mass Drivers or Missiles)? Shields or Armor?
I see there is a Blue Star close by, but usually not too many good planets around Blue Stars :(
I usually develop ships as needed. Same for research. I tend to spread my technology across all of the areas instead of focusing on one. I'm sending the USS Crockett northward to investigate those three stars.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

Dr. Corday
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dr. Corday » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:54 pm

Following Grifftavian's advice I decide to purchase one of the factories that I had in the build queue.

Meanwhile, I diverted the USS Crockett to investigate an anomaly. The found 100bc worth of artifacts! That
should help pay for the factory that I just rushed.

The USS Crockett goes on to discover a wormhole. I've decided not to send the Crockett into it. I need to
find another nice colony location first.

First contact! Too bad I have no idea what they are saying. :-(

As always, my scientists come through just a wee bit too late.

Soon I encounter two more new races. The Carinoids and the Huts....er, I mean the Jessuins.

Fair and balanced GNN shows the Terran Alliance as being the most powerful empire! Of course, this
early in the game that does little to comfort me. The USS Crockett is the only real military ship I
have. Yeah, I do have the mining ship but no Nero or 'red matter' to go with it. :mischf:

After the three stars galactic north of Earth didn't pan out I sent the Crockett south. I found a decent
planet and sent my colony ship to it. Gladstone IV was founded and started construction of a starbase.
Should that have been my first building? :cf:

Where we are now. The purple arrows indicate the approximate course that the Crockett took. There's
another decent world where the Crockett ended up. I'm building another colony ship and hope to get
it there before anyone else does. There a Military thingy down there as well so I would also like to build
a constructor and build a base there. You can also tell from this screenshot that I used my colony
ship to explore a bit as well. :run: The red circle is Gladstone IV.
-Sherlock Holmes

Dr. Corday
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dr. Corday » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:30 pm

In 2227 we find that the Terran Alliance is still at the top of the charts.

Another first contact. The Torian Confederation makes itself known.

Our intelligence reports that the Torians are slightly more advanced than we are.

Quickly our diplomats spring into action. An exchange of knowledge takes place.

The USS Crockett discovers the Lentz system. It contains two habitable planets!

The news is timed perfectly with the launch of our second colony ship. It sets course for the Lentz system.

GNN is reporting that the Terran Alliance is still considered a major power. But our military is non-existent right now and that is worrisome.

Gladstone completes its Starport.

The Science Academy has reported success in the field of Space Militarization. Research into Space Weapons begins.

Our colonization fleet has arrived at the Lentz system. The Class 10 world is now part of the Terran Alliance. Construction of a Starport there is underway.

So far we have expanded to two other worlds. The Lentz system is the most distant. There are plans to expand our empire to the system galactic east of Gladstone but no colony ships are being constructed at this time. A constructor is being built at Earth and will be sent out to mine one of the many available resources. Our admirals are pushing for the construction of a military 'starfleet'.

To be continued...
-Sherlock Holmes

Basarin

Post by Basarin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:22 am

Nice expansion you have going here! Hopefully you can angle your future economic starbases so they can cover more than two planets and share the full bonuses with each!

Looks like you don't have any particular nasty civ to deal with. Hopefully you can stay on everyone's good side, but a nonexistant military might give them temptation for thought.

Dr. Corday
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dr. Corday » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:10 pm

The USS Crockett reports that they encountered the Krynn Consulate and that they seem friendly enough. Not much in the way of technology though.

Science Academy reports that research into Space Weapons has been successful. They are now looking into applying what they've learned to Mass Driver Theory. Admiral Wolfe is interested in constructing a 'star fleet' and needs some way to arm his ships.

Intelligence still thinks were are doing great despite having a '0' military rating.

The shipyards report that our first Constructor vessel is ready to launch. After consulting with Admiral Wolfe it is decided that it would be best to construct a military starbase on the resource galactic south-east of Earth.

We now have the ability to construct Space Cannons. If only we had a ship to mount them to.

I've decided to start research into Interstellar Construction. We will need to build bigger ships to carry our new weapons. Hopefully we can take our first starship from the drawing board to the construction yards soon.

Construction of Starbase 1 is complete.

Another colony ship is ready at Earth. I'm not sure which direction it will head yet. I still need to build a couple more Constructors so I can snag those morale resources and expand Starbase 1. Since this is a small map I need to grab planets and resources ASAP. And Admiral Wolfe is still demanding that we start building a star fleet.
-Sherlock Holmes

Basarin

Post by Basarin » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:40 pm

Considering how small the map is, I'd listen to Mr. Wolfe! Though I can see why you want to hold off from building any ships until you have the chassis worthwhile enough to mount weapons on...

Any thoughts on who might come to blows with you first? You seem to be doing well enough so far, though at this point you might have to start colonizing the lesser planets like Mars.

Dr. Corday
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dr. Corday » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:34 am

My new Dell XPS 15 l502 is up and running now. I'm happy to report that GalCiv2 is installed and running again and the save file from this AAR made it over just fine as well. I will have an update soon. :please:
-Sherlock Holmes