Civ5: One Day To Fly

Dr. Corday
Administrator
Administrator

Civ5: One Day To Fly

Post by Dr. Corday » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:30 am

Civilization 5 has been out for over a year now :shock: and I have never achieved or even attempted a Space Victory. I've decided to remedy that. And before you start suggesting the best Civ to play as I've already decided to go with the Americans. First to the moon and all that rot. :usa: As far as how to achive this lofty goal, let those suggestions begin! I plan to play on a Standard size Archipelago map. I'll need the elbow room to keep those maniac AI's away. I will most likely keep these map settings when I have to start over (which I'm sure I'll have to do) :?
So far the only tips I have found are at a site that I stumbled upon, Carl's Civilization 5 Guide. I'm not sure who Carl is but his site looks nice and his advice sounds good.
For now, I plan to start as Carl suggests and focus most of my cities on science. So let those suggestions and tips start flowing in! I'll post my progress here.

In closing, a snip from the great Alan Parson's One Day To Fly:

Someone said I believe
Try if you dare, you can walk on air
A dream is all you need
A circle that takes you high
Lighter than air as the earth goes by
Through a spiral in the sky
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

UWF Baseball - 2011 NCAA National Champions! Go Argos!

Grifftavian

Re: Civ5: One Day To Fly

Post by Grifftavian » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:56 am

Good Luck! I'll have to check out Carl's Guide.

Another reference you may want to look at is the Basic Guide to Social Policies from the Civilization Fanatics Center's Civ 5 War Academy. It has a section on standard openings, and also suggestions on best Social Policies for each Victory Condition.
Grifftavian
"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of."
- Confucius

Dr. Corday
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dr. Corday » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:18 pm

Thanks, I'll need it!
One thing I'm wondering about is the optimum number of cities. Or maybe I should say minimum number of cities I'll need. I should think about n number of science cities and x number of production (military) cities. Cool idea: name my production/military cities AFB's. :lol: Now I just need to figure out what the values of n and x should be.

Also, if I only enable Spaceship Victory, does the game end with ONLY a Spaceship victory or will it enforce the game ending in 2050AD? :?:

[edit]Apolyton has some tips here.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

Dr. Corday
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dr. Corday » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:51 pm

Grifftavian wrote:Another reference you may want to look at is the Basic Guide to Social Policies from the Civilization Fanatics Center's Civ 5 War Academy. It has a section on standard openings, and also suggestions on best Social Policies for each Victory Condition.
Perfect! There's some good information about the Spaceship victory in there. I'll have to refer to this when I choose my Policies. :write:
-Sherlock Holmes

Grifftavian

Post by Grifftavian » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:14 pm

Dr. Corday wrote:...
One thing I'm wondering about is the optimum number of cities. Or maybe I should say minimum number of cities I'll need. I should think about n number of science cities and x number of production (military) cities. Cool idea: name my production/military cities AFB's. :lol: Now I just need to figure out what the values of n and x should be.
I'd guess that you would need three good production cities in order to build the Spaceship components in a reasonable number of turns. The rest can all be Science Cities, but not sure how many you should have. That could depend on which difficulty level you will be playing.
Dr. Corday wrote:Also, if I only enable Spaceship Victory, does the game end with ONLY a Spaceship victory or will it enforce the game ending in 2050AD? :?:...
Not sure, but I think it would not end in 2050 AD with only Science Victory enabled. But surely your intrepid crew of Astronauts will lift off on their Trek to Alpha Centauri long before 2050 AD!
Grifftavian
"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of."
- Confucius

Dr. Corday
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dr. Corday » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:33 pm

Grifftavian wrote:I'd guess that you would need three good production cities in order to build the Spaceship components in a reasonable number of turns. The rest can all be Science Cities, but not sure how many you should have. That could depend on which difficulty level you will be playing.
I'll play on Prince level. :viking:
Grifftavian wrote: Not sure, but I think it would not end in 2050 AD with only Science Victory enabled. But surely your intrepid crew of Astronauts will lift off on their Trek to Alpha Centauri long before 2050 AD!
I asked over at Civfanatics and that was the answer I was given. I'll still try to have the ship finished by 2050 AD though. Who knows, if they make it maybe I'll continue the story with an Alpha Centauri AAR! :alien:
-Sherlock Holmes

Dr. Corday
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dr. Corday » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:22 pm

Here's a screenshot of the settings that I'm using. Note that I cut the number of city state down to 8.
Settings.jpg
Settings.jpg (186.85 KiB) Viewed 42738 times
And here is Washington. I'm near stone, silver and food resources. I'm also near hills. I guess I need to decide if Washington will be a Science city or a Production city. I've decided to research Pottery first since that will lead to Writing.
Any thoughts before I continue? :thinkit:
Opening.jpg
Opening.jpg (188.52 KiB) Viewed 42738 times
-Sherlock Holmes

Grifftavian

Post by Grifftavian » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:16 am

Not a very good starting location, tough break with those unworkable mountain peaks so close. I've never played with Disable Start Bias checked. That's probably why you got a mediocre starting location.

IMO, capitol city needs to be a production city, you want to be able to pump out a few units and a couple of Settlers early. I see you started a Monument; that's normally what I build first, followed by a Worker, then try and get out a couple of city garrison units and a Settler.

With no tiles that you can Farm next to the Capitol hexagon, I believe I would research the tech that let's you build camps on the Deer (Trapping?) first, so you can improve your only two food resources. Otherwise, city growth may stagnate at a pretty low population.
Grifftavian
- Confucius

Dr. Corday
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dr. Corday » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:09 pm

Crap! I ran into Montezuma on the third turn. Yes, crazy, psycho, nutty Montezuma! I picked the Archipelago map in the hopes something like this wouldn't happen. Since I was choosing the Liberty social policies I was able to get a settler unit and built another city. Monty didn't like that. In fact he denounced me the next turn.
policy2.jpg
policy2.jpg (156.83 KiB) Viewed 42715 times
montewarns.jpg
montewarns.jpg (116.94 KiB) Viewed 42715 times
Then I see that another civ has entered the Classical Era. Behind in science already!!! :pissed:
clasical.jpg
clasical.jpg (158.66 KiB) Viewed 42715 times
A quick view of where I'm at. Note that there's barbarians to the south of me, jokers to the northeast and here I am stuck in the middle with ewes. :mischf:
current2.jpg
current2.jpg (157.49 KiB) Viewed 42715 times
-Sherlock Holmes

Grifftavian

Post by Grifftavian » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Dr. Corday wrote:Crap! I ran into Montezuma on the third turn. Yes, crazy, psycho, nutty Montezuma! ...
I talked to Edna, and she wants me to tell you to take Monty out ASAP! :dagger:
Grifftavian
- Confucius